Storm Preparations Update
Yorktown is well prepared for the pending hurricane thanks to the efforts of our Emergency Management Team under the direction of our Police Chief Daniel McMahon.
To date, the following measures have been taken by the various members of the team:
• The YCCC on Commerce Street has been designated as an emergency shelter and a large emergency generator is already in place. As soon as the shelter is open, an announcement will be sent to WHUD, 100.7 FM and News12 for those who have electricity. Residents can also call the Police Department at 962-4141 to check whether the shelter has been opened. The shelter will stay open as long as necessary.
• Highway Department equipment has been strategically located throughout town to insure rapid response to downed trees and flooding situations.
• Both the Mohegan and Yorktown Fire Departments have been mobilized.
• The Yorktown Volunteer Ambulance Corps will be staffed throughout the storm.
• The members of the volunteer Auxiliary Police will be assisting the Police Department.
Residents are reminded that if they lose their electricity or gas, they should call the utility company directly at the following numbers:
Con Ed (gas and electric): 1-800-752-6633
NYSEG, electric: 1-800-572-1131
NYSEG. gas: 1-800-572-1121
Residents are also reminded to stay at home until the storm subsides and not go near any downed wires.