BULK TRASH COLLECTION is provided to residential homes on a pre-scheduled basis. Please check the schedule below for your section's pick up dates. Bulk Trash collection is only for bulky household items such as furniture, mattresses, appliances, rugs, lamps, curtains & blinds, bicycles and bags of small items. Please note, effective January 1, 2017 a $20 disposal fee must be paid for refrigerators and freezers. The fee must be prepaid in the Refuse and Recycling office where you will be given a paid "Removal Sticker" to adhere to the refrigerator. Refrigerators and freezers will not be picked up unless they have the paid sticker on them.
IMPORTANT CHANGE: Leaves and tied branches will no longer be picked up with Bulk Trash. The town will pick up leaf bags and tied branches only, on pre-scheduled dates based on your section. Please see the tab labeled: "Collection Schedules for Leaf Bags and Tied Branches" for the pick up schedule.
Construction debris such as sheetrock, plaster, roof shingles, house siding, ceramic tile, toilet bowls, porcelain sinks, brick, stone, concrete, asphalt, car tires, liquid paints, loose wood, grass clippings, dirt, wood chips, mulch and kitchen refuse will not be picked up.
Household chemicals, hazardous garden products, pool chemicals and automotive fluids will not be picked up and must be brought to Westchester County's "Household Material Recovery Facility" for proper disposal; refer to http://environment.westchestergov.com/recycling or call (914) 813-5425 to make an appointment.
- All items to be removed MUST be placed at curbside no later than 6:00 am on Monday of the scheduled week.
- Refrigerators and Freezers require a prepaid $20 disposal fee. The fee must be paid in the Refuse and Recycling office where you will be given a paid sticker to adhere to the appliance.
- Car Tires will not be picked up with Bulk Trash collections. During pre-scheduled "Drop Off Days for E-Waste, Textiles & Car Tires" residents can bring car tires (without rims) to the Refuse and Recycling Department where a $5.00 per tire disposal fee must be paid.
- Town Law prohibits items or materials which are intended for bulk trash collections from being placed at curbside for more than TWO (2) DAYS prior to the first day scheduled for each section pickup. Violators are liable to summons and fine under Town Code Sec. 201-6c(1).
- The collection of bulk trash shall be limited to reasonable amounts, as determined by the sole discretion of the department. The department reserves the right to reject excessive amounts and unacceptable items of bulk trash.
- Each pick up is limited to three (3) cubic yards: area approximately 9 'x 3' x 3'.
- In order to keep recyclable items out of the waste stream, the following items are picked up in separate vehicles: bulk metal, TV's and E-Waste, and clear bags with textiles. To minimize the number of trips for Refuse & Recycling vehicles, those items should be placed separately along the curbside.
- After pickup, residents must immediately remove any ineligible items, and are responsible for policing curbside area.
- Scattered debris from broken bags will not be picked up by R&R crews.
- 32-gallon trash cans will only be removed when clearly marked "To Be Removed".
- Paint cans must be empty or contain hardened paint; lids must be removed. To harden excess paint, stir in clean kitty litter.
- Doors must be removed from all refrigerators and freezers. NEW: A $20.00 disposal fee must be paid in the Refuse and Recycling office for all refrigerators and freezers containing freon. A "paid" sticker will be given to you when you pay the fee. The sticker must be adhered to the appliance. Refrigerators and/or freezers will not be picked up unless they have a clearly visible paid sticker attached.
- No commercial appliances will be collected.
- All small items must be contained in strong bags. Note: do not use cardboard cartons to hold small items since cardboard is recyclable: empty, flatten & tie your boxes and place at curbside for weekly recycling collection.
- Rugs must be rolled and tied with a heavy cord or duct tape.
- Bulk Metal includes stoves, washing machines, dryers, dishwashers, air conditioners, metal fencing and aluminum ladders. Metal pieces must not exceed 4' in length; no cement in pipes.
- Large windows, glass and mirrors must be wrapped or contained or apply strips of masking tape to minimize breakage.
- Wood from a deck, larger than 50 sq. feet, or railroad tie retaining walls will not be accepted.
- Fuel oil tanks must be empty and have a 2'x2' opening on each side. Tanks of 350-550 gallon capacity must be cut in half; max. tank accepted is 550 gallons.
- Household chemicals are NOT to be disposed of in the trash. Check http://environment.westchestergov.com/recycling for info on Westchester County's "Household Material Recovery Facility"; appointments are necessary.
- E-WASTE (small electronic appliances) including computers and TVs, should be placed separately along the curb. Apply strips of masking tape on the glass screens since broken glass will not be cleaned up by Town workers OR bring your e-waste to the Refuse & Recycling site (behind the Police/Court) on "Drop Off Days for E-Waste, Textiles & Car Tires". Check the Refuse & Recycling Calendar for dates.
- Textiles. Pack textiles in clear plastic bags or bring bags of textiles to the Refuse & Recycling Department on "Drop Off Days for E-Waste, Textiles & Car Tires". Check the Refuse & Recycling Calendar for dates.
The following items are limited per household pickup:
|• Three (3) Air Conditioners
||• One (1) Lawnmower
|• Three (3) Televisions
||• One (1) Snow blower
Please Note: If you do not know what "Section" your street is in, click on "Find My Section" below, or call the Refuse & Recycling Office (914) 245-4438.
Based on availability, Extra Bulk Trash collections can be arranged for on pre-scheduled dates. Call the Refuse & Recycling Department at (914) 245-4438 to find out available dates and set up an appointment. DO NOT place bulk items out until you have made an appointment. There is a $50.00 charge (cash or a check) for this service and payment must be received before the scheduled date. Regulations are the same as for regular bulk trash collections. Please make the $50 check payable to: Yorktown's Refuse & Recycling Dept. *If you are disposing of a refrigerator or freezer with an extra bulk trash pick up you must pay an additional $20 fee.